Mount Meru Climbing Safari
Mount Meru Climbing Safari takes a duration of 4 days. Our hike trail takes us to the socialist peak which stands at an elevation of 4566m. This hiking adventure starts from Arusha and ends in Arusha. The Climbing Adventure can be undertaken privately accompanied by the mountain ranger, guide and porters or in a group. Accommodation is in form of mountain huts.
Arusha – Miriakamba Hut (2514 m): 4 -6 hours
On the first day you will be picked up from your hotel in Arusha in the morning and driven to The Mommella Gate of Arusha national Park where you will go through the registration formalities and get the company of the armed ranger who will accompany you through out your climb.
This day you will hike up through the montane forest with the chance to encounter animals and birdlife on your way up to a large fig tree on the way your lunch point for the day.
After lunch you will be on your way again up to the Miriakamba Hut your home for this day, where you will enjoy the sun go down with awe inspiring views over the plains and Mount Kilimanjaro on a clear day.Overnight at Miriakamba Hut. All meals included.
Miriakamba Hut – Saddle Hut (3,570 m)
The second day of your hiking and this day you wake up early in the morning for a hearty breakfast before you make way through the montane forest up through the giant heather and other moorland vegetation to the elephant ridge which is the halfway for the day and here you will have a short rest here and enjoy the stunning views below and of the Summit ridge above.
You will then hiker further up, to the hut located at the saddle below the Little Meru. You will take you lunch here at the hut and for the more energetic ones and if you wish you can take a walk up the nearby summit of Little Meru (3820m) for stunning views just before sunset. Overnight at Saddle Hut. All meals included.
Saddle Hut – Summit – Miriakamba Hut (2514m)
The highly anticipated day; you wake up very early in the morning around 2.00 Am and embark on your last climb up to the Rhino Point (3800 m) and continue further on the ridge of rock and ash to reach Cobra point at (4350 m) just at sunrise to enjoy the awe inspiring views of the Kilimanjaro floating on the morning foggy clouds on a clear day stunning views of the Great Rift valley to the west.
From here you hike up the last 200 meters to the Summit; Socialist Peak and after about an hour you will be on top of the second highest point in Tanzania. Jubilation and relief having made it to the top, you will trace your way back down and enjoy what has been termed as the most exhilarating walk in Africa while walking on the narrow (knife) ridge between the inner cliffs of the crater and the outer rocky slopes of this Volcano.
Your Breakfast awaits you at Saddle Hut and after breakfast you will descend further to Miriakamba Hut your first home which becomes also your last home on the mountain. You will take lunch and relax for the rest of the day; mission almost completed. Overnight at Miriakamba Hut. All meals included.
Miriakamba Hut – Momella Gate – Arusha
In the morning after Breakfast you will be on your last descent down to the Gate that will take you about 2-3 hours down hill. You have the chance once again to encounter the animals that you missed up hill and the bird life as well.
Once at the Gate, done with the checking out formalities with the park authorities, you will be driven back to Arusha town where you will check back at your hotel again ready for your departure home tomorrow or Safari extension.
- Transport to and from the base of the mountain.
- Park entrance fees.
- Accommodation in mountain huts.
- Meals as described in the itinerary.
- Services of a mountain guide, porters & a cook.
- Rescue fee.
- H.F Radio communication for backup in case of an emergency.
- All government taxes.
- International airfares.
- Climbing equipments.
- All expenditure of personal nature such as telephone calls, hard drinks, soft drinks and laundry.
- Travel Insurance.
Second highest in Tanzania after Mount Kilimanjaro, fifth highest in the African continent, at 4566 meters Mount Meru is located within Arusha National Park just outside Arusha, the safari getaway town of The Tanzanian Northern Circuit. Mount Meru as opposed to Mount Kilimanjaro is very steep but can be done in four days but the more physically fit climbers can do it in 3 days.
The hike up is an amazing walk , guided by an armed ranger giving the hiker a chance to encounter animals on the way including buffaloes, and elephants at the lower slopes and smaller animals like the duikers and reedbucks at higher grounds. Birdlife is also in abundance on the way and just like at Kilimanjaro the Vegetation change from zone to zone is equally amazing. If the weather is clear; breath taking views of Mount Kilimanjaro and rewarding views of the Mommella lakes below makes the hike up less strenuous.
What awaits the successful climber at the summit known as the Socialist Peak is stunning views over the Ash cone several thousands feet inside the crater on top of this gigantic volcano. The Mountain can be done before a long or short safari to the Northern Circuit most advisably, or doe as a rehearsal for Mount Kilimanjaro, offering climbers a rare chance of Conquering two summits at a go in a period of just two weeks. Nowhere else other than Tanzania can a climber get such a chance.
CLIMBING GEAR & EQUIPMENTS
- Walking trousers synthetic material is recommended.
- Long Underwear Tops – Light synthetic.
- Women’s sports bras Synthetic material.
- Light fleece with a warm layer.
- Long sleeve polypropylene shirt.
- Medium weight polypropylene/thermal leggings.
- Wind – waterproof – breathable jacket.
- Gloves- light weight.
- Warm Hat or Balaclava Sun hat – wool or synthetic.
- Face mask or neck gaiter.
- Medium or large duffel bag to pack your town clothes with a lock, this can be left at the hotel or we can store them for you.
- Medium duffel bag to pack your hiking stuff with a lock. [ The porter will carry this bag. ]
- A day pack to store your essentials with a capacity of about 25 to 35 liters is recommended.
- Walking/hiking shoes – comfortable and waterproof.
- Socks – Fitting socks one thick and one thin pair.
- Head lamp with extra batteries & bulbs.
- Adjustable trekking poles.
- Sleeping bag – Rated 3 – season.
- Gaiters – make sure they will fit over boots.
- Purification tablets or filters – water for drinking is fetched from mountain streams.
- Water bottle preferably one litre.
- Female or male hygiene supplies.
- Hand wipes and camp towel.
- Personal toiletry kit.
- Lip balm.
- Sun glasses.
- Camera & extra battries.
- Passport, flight ticket, travel insurance, visa, cash & credit card.
- Basecamp entertainment i.e books, board games, playing cards or ipod.
- Favorite Snacks, candy bars or protein bars.
Kindly don’t forget your patience, have an open mind, positive and relaxed attitude as things in this part of the world may be very different to what you are accustomed to but in the end the experience is price less and will always be memorable.